I love to look at diaper changing time as precious moments that a parent or caregiver gets to spend with a child. If this is so, true love then really has no prejudices, as the often smelly odors that are given out while changing a diaper could only be tolerated by loving hearts and kind hands! These sometimes “phew moments” after a diaper change are ironically followed with a big kiss – they are indeed precious!
Parents and caregivers can use diapering time to connect with their babies; to talk to them, sing, (bring out the Aretha Franklin or Frank Sinatra in you) or make silly and distracting faces to ensure the baby is not getting fussy while changing their diaper. Whatever you do though, remember safety at all times, especially if the child is on a changing table.
Begin Changing the diaper!
- Start by ensuring that you are using diaper wipes with a simple formula and are soft enough even for sensitive skin. Huggies Natural Care® Wipes are excellent and trusted by millions of families. They are fragrance free with Triple Clean* layers for a strong, yet gentle clean on baby’s hands, face, and bottom. Our nanny community trusts and loves the Huggies® brand!
- Always wipe the child from the front to the back, especially baby girls. Improper wiping can spread the germ that causes urinary tract infections.
- Once wiping is done, ensure that the baby’s skin is dried completely and then use the ointment of your choice. I love Aquaphor. It’s a great product that has proven to work effectively.
- Begin by opening the diaper completely and place it under your baby, while gently lifting his or her legs and feet. Ensure that the back part of the diaper with the adhesive strips is level with your baby’s bellybutton.
- Secure the front part of the diaper up between your baby’s legs and onto his or her belly avoiding the baby’s bellybutton if they are newborns, and especially if that area is still healing. Huggies® Little Snugglers Diapers for newborns have an umbilical cord cut-out to help protect your newborn’s bellybutton area.
- It’s now time to bring the adhesive strips around and fasten snugly. Be careful not to stick the tape onto your baby’s skin.
- Wash your hands always after changing a diaper to avoid the spread of germs.
- Then you are free to give even more smooches!
- Begin by using a trusted diaper brand that has proven to work. Our Nanny community loves and trusts the Huggies® brand.
- Change diapers as often as possible to avoid diaper rash. Huggies® Little Snugglers Diapers provide outstanding care for newborn’s soft, delicate skin, and have a wetness indicator to easily let you know when it’s time for the next change.
- Ensure that you stock up on diapers as you never want to run out of them. Newborns can use between 8-10 diapers a day.
- If you experience leakage or the diaper begins to slip from the back, it might be time to move to a bigger size diaper. The diaper packages have a guideline for sizes, but ensure that you take your baby’s unique size into consideration. (You always want to ensure that you are putting the diaper on effectively, if there’s leakage)
- The diaper bag must always have all the necessary essentials you will need for the baby, when you are away from home. Always ensure your diaper bag is well stocked, especially with diapers and wipes. Huggies® Clutch ‘n’ Clean* Wipes are a great product, and the package itself is refillable, so you are never out of wipes. It’s also practical because it can be easily attached to a stroller for greater accessibility when you are out of the home. Child care is fast paced, especially when multiple kids are involved, so innovations like these wipes are great additions to your daily regimen.